VISA PROCEDURE when entering Tibet via Nepal only

Chinese Visas issued in the passport by other Chinese embassies are not valid for entry to Tibet from Nepal. The Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu must issue the Chinese Visa for Tibet, which will be on a piece of paper, commonly known as a Group Visa. The Group Visa can be issued for one person or above and will be valid till the duration of the tour only.

The process of issuing Chinese Visa for Tibet entry: Our office in Lhasa processes the permits of the groups and sends it to us in Kathmandu. We produce that document to the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu along with the group’s passports, group’s visa application form and visa fees in US Dollars cash (not traveller’s cheques) from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. The visas are processed and to be collected the morning after the application day. The visa collection time is from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. The Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu is open for visa application on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

The visa fee is based on 02 working days service and is not included in the tour cost.

All nationalities except the list below will be given the Chinese Visa in 02 days. The following nationalities require a minimum 03 to 04 days in Nepal to obtain the Chinese Visa:

Please note: If the visa fee increases during the time of application, the extra cost will have to be paid by the clients.

The requirements are as follows.
The client’s passport must be valid for a minimum of six months from the date of entry into Tibet.
One passport size photo (color).
Original passport at the time of applying for the Chinese Visa.
Scanned passport copy in color

What we need to get your Chinese Visa and Tibet Permits: When the clients arrive in Kathmandu they will be required to sign the visa application form and submit one color passport size photo and their passports. We will apply for their visa with the Chinese Consular on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and receive their passports the next working day.


VISA PROCEDURE when entering Tibet via Mainland China only 

If you are entering Tibet from Mainland China, (i.e. via Chengdu, Beijing and then to Lhasa) then you should obtain a normal Chinese visa [L/T class] from your country. With a Chinese visa you can enter China without any problems. We will process all your permits for Tibet and when you fly into Lhasa, our guide will be waiting for you with your permits at the Gongar airport. The cost of the permits will be included in your tour cost.

What we need to get your Tibet permits:  Once you book a trip to Tibet we require your scanned colored passport copy to be sent to us. Once you get your Chinese Visa, a scanned colored copy of the Chinese Visa and your profession should also be sent to us. We also need the complete address of the hotel you will be staying at so we can deliver the permit accordingly.

Note: Tibet remains closed for tourists during the month of March.